Sunday, March 28, 2010

Egg-less Applesauce Cake and Muffins with Cream-Cheese Frosting

Every Sunday night, I go to my college pastor's house for a small group Bible study. Most of the recipes that are on this blog are treats that I've made for them. My college pastor's daughter is the sweetest little strawberry-blonde headed girl, and she is also allergic to eggs. So I'm always looking for recipes that don't have eggs in them so that the treats I make for my small group, she can eat them too! Here is an easy, healthy, and egg-less recipe that can be made as a loaf cake or as muffins!

Serves: 1 loaf or 24 muffins
Oven: 350 degrees

For Cake (or Muffins):
1/2 cup canola oil
1 cup sugar
2 cups unbleached flour
2 cups applesauce
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ginger
1/2 tsp. vanilla

Mix oil and sugar well. Add applesauce and vanilla. Mix in dry ingredients. Beat until smooth.

Pour in a oiled loaf pan and bake for 55-60 minutes. Or for muffins, pour into muffin tin(s) and bake for 20-22 minutes.




For frosting:
5 oz cream cheese, softened
3 Tbs. unsalted butter, softened
1/4 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1 cup confectioners (powdered) sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon

Beat cream cheese, butter, and vanilla with an electric mixer at high speed until fluffy. Sift confectioners sugar and cinnamon over cream cheese mixture, then beat at medium speed until incorporated. Spread frosting over top of cooled cake.

Cake recipe from: http://www.all-creatures.org
Frosting recipe from: http://www.gourmet.com

3 comments:

  1. Looks delicious!

    I recently tried an eggless strawberry cake and it came out quite well. Found the recipe @
    http://www.vegrecipes4u.com/eggless-strawberry-cake.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. fun! looks like you were up to the cooking challenge. Recently I've been using a lot of ground flax, which also serves as an egg substitute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ps. I like the african violet in the picture! :)

    ReplyDelete